Mr. Bomsztyk's practice encompasses all aspects of small business representation including incorporation, financing, contract/lease review, negotiations, dispute resolution, and litigation. Mr. Bomsztyk represents a wide variety of business including internet startups, general contractors and specialty subcontractors, real estate developers, renowned artists, retailers, mining operations, and providers of professional services.
In addition to commercial matters, Mr. Bomsztyk maintains an active practice representing injured individuals in their personal injury claims as well as advocating for businesses accused of civil, administrative or criminal wrongdoing.
U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A.
Recent Notable Results
Recent Trial Accomplishments
- Successfully sued client's insurance provider after insurance provider refused to offer a fair settlement. After a two and a half week jury trial in King County Superior Court, Mr. Bomsztyk obtained a verdict that was twenty-five times the amount of the last offer the insurance company offered.
- On behalf of student athletes from three different schools, sued the governing body of Washington student athletics. After two weeks of trial in King County Superior Court, right before closing arguments, the governing body settled with the student athletes for the exact relief that they had been requesting.
- Client was wrongly accused of withholding payments of retail excise tax based on an arbitrary methodology leading to an unreasonable tax amount.After a trial in front of a three judge panel of the Washington State Board of Tax Appeals, and effective cross examination of Department of Revenue tax agents, the Department of Revenue's taxing decision was reversed and lead to the landmark final decision which provides established precedent to prevent the Department of Revenue from employing arbitrary methodologies for assessment.
- After month long jury trial, obtained complete defense verdict for franchisor being sued by multiple franchisees and successor franchisor for violations of Washington's Franchise Investment Protection Act and other breach of contract claims.
- After trial, obtained complete reversal of industrial insurance premiums assessed against trucking company by Washington's Department of Labor & Industries.
- After King County Superior Court trial, successfully evicted a commercial tenant and was able to collect all client's damages and attorney fees after a prolonged collection effort.
Recent Public Presentations:
- “Litigating For Small Business Clients. Realities & Strategies” Presented to the King County Bar Association
- “Structuring Creative Collaborations. Simple Legal Steps To Protect Your Ideas, Friendships & Sanity” Presented to the City of Seattle-Office of Film + Music
- “Your Business' First Steps. A Primer On Partnerships, Incorporation/LLC, Joint Ventures Traditional Funding & Crowdfunding” Presented to William Factory Small Business Incubator
- Corporate counsel for scores of Washington small businesses advising, negotiating and drafting: joint venture agreements, commercial leases, purchase and sale agreements, licensing/franchise agreements, noncompetition and other employment agreements.
- Negotiated a multi-million dollar exclusive service contract with the Port of Seattle on behalf of a transportation company.
- Negotiated and drafted a multi-million dollar construction contract on behalf of the general contractor for a condominium conversion of a historic building in Seattle, Washington.
- Negotiated and drafted the terms of a stock purchase buy out whereby one shareholder bought out the remaining shareholder and acquired full ownership of a well known retail brand.
- Litigation on behalf of commercial landlords and commercial tenants settling millions of dollars of disputed lease provisions.
- Litigation on behalf of both creditors and debtors settling millions of dollars in disputed debts.
- Litigation on behalf of business partners negotiating and settling disputed relationships and allowing businesses to remove partners and/or partners to be released.
- Successful defense of dermatologist's medical license accused of violating Washington Department of Health regulations governing medical spas.
- Successful defense of mortgage brokers' license accused of violating Washington Department of Financial Institution regulations governing the mortgage industry.
- Successful savings of hundreds of thousands of dollars representing small businesses in Department of Revenue, Labor & Industries and Employment Security Department audits charges and hearings. Scores of successful representations in various governmental administrative hearings and before the board of industrial insurance appeals.